ACHIEVEMENTS & ACTIVITIES
- The School Games Federation of India (SGFI) had included Gatka as a game in National School Games calendar in 2015.
- Department of Education, Government of Punjab had also recognised Gatka as a game in its schools, colleges and universities since 2009 and organizing Punjab State Inter-District Gatka tournaments since 2010.
- The Punjab School Education Board (PSEB) SAS Nagar also organises cultural competitions including Gatka annually. The Board awards three marks in the total marks to all players including Gatka players during the annual physical practical examinations. Besides this, the PSEB had also included lessons on Gatka in school textbooks.
- With the determined efforts of NGAI, the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) had also included Gatka in national university sports calendar from 2015. The Punjabi University Patiala had organized All India Inter-University Gatka (Men & Women) prize money Tournaments four times since 2011.
- Upon pursuance by NGAI, the Sports Authority of India (SAI) had recognized Gatka and affiliated one Gatka Training Centre at Sri Amritsar.
- The Government of Punjab had also included Gatka in the the gradation list by incorporating it in State Sports Policy in 2015 on the proposal of NGAI.
- To upkeep and conserve inheritance of martial art Gatka, “Virsa Sambhal” (Traditional) Gatka Competitions are also being conducted.
- The NGAI is organising Gatka training camps, refresher courses and workshops to impart exhaustive training to the Gatka players so as they can conduct tournaments as officials.
- In collaboration with the World Gatka Federation (WGS), the NGAI had formulated and standardized in-depth Gatka Rules book to play Gatka as a systematic game.
- Punjabi University Patiala, after signing an MOU with WGF, had launched one year ‘Diploma in Gatka Training’ course.
- To put in place an effective mechanism to identify and nurture Gatka sporting talent, the NGAI and International Sikh Martial Art Academy (ISMAA) will establish an academic residential institute namely “International Gatka Institute for Research and Training (IGIRT) in Punjab for research and development activities on Gatka. The ISMAA will also start diploma and Certificate courses in Gatka training in the institute. Besides, specialised Gatka Training Centres (GTCs) will also to be setup in all the States.
- The NGAI and ISMAA will produce a documentary film on Gatka to showcase its historical importance and unique self-defence mechanism. Besides, websites about Gatka game have also been running successfully including a mobile Gatka App to disseminate awareness on the web world.
- To expand horizon of Gatka game, World Gatka Federation (WGF) and Asian Gatka Federation (AGF) have been constituted.
The NGAI calls upon all commonality to earnestly cooperate, support and help in attaining the desired goal that is the Sikh Sangat longing for utmost since decades for this game patronaged by beloved gurus. Join us in our selfless efforts for the sake of Gatka by supporting us in various ways as you think so.